Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mabon Clematis

The autumn equinox, or Mabon, is actually the time of the second harvest. The gardens are nearly empty. Mabon is the mid-harvest festival, changing seasons, time to celebrate the second harvest. the time of rich traditions, customs and folklore. Such as the
story of Demeter and Persephone. Demeter was a Goddess of Grain and of the harvest in ancient Greece. Her daughter, Persephone, caught the eye of Hades, god of the underworld, who then abducted Persephone and took her back to the underworld.
This is one of my favorite plants of Mabon in my Goddess garden. Autumnal Clematis.
This vine is about 10 years old.
It looks beautiful in the early summer as well as in the fall. I trimmed it back quite a bit this spring, trying to get it to climb to the other side of the arbor and grow down the side. It seems to have worked, however I do miss the wild, lazy tendrils I would get every year because I did "not" trim it.

Here the flower buds are just starting to open,


Like magick, I woke up the other morning and the blossoms were completely opened!
(hot, humid weather)



Very manicured as opposed to other years,





This year,




This is last year, see how the vines kinda stick out all over? Love this,

Which look do you prefer?
I have a tendency to let plants in my gardens "do their own thing", and do not give much structure, so I am tending towards the "wild" way. However, I think I will have to prune until I can get the vines to come down along the other side of the arbor.

I also want to thin out the roots this year and plant some over on the west side of my house where I had  the giant white pine cut down. The rootings are so thick, I will have to gingerly dig and separate.
Then, I guess, pry apart the tendrils carefully as I take it off the arbor.  

Has anyone ever had a thick vine root you have thinned?

I will take pictures of the process, and show you how it all turns out. Makes me nervous.

Have a blessed Mabon season!
Celeste 




Post a Comment