Sunday, November 15, 2015

Preparing for Plumfield Yule, While in the midst of a snow storm !

I woke up to the rumbling, scrapping, wooshing sound of 
the city's snow plows,
as they went by there became a sudden abrupt silence.........
I knew of the sound and it warned me that the
neighborhood was in a precarious situation.......
I opened my eyes to see golden rays of sunrise leaking through the linen
curtains at my window,
Curious to see what the night had delivered yet so  snug and warm in
my bed......  alas while the furnace blew hard the heat I escaped my
cocoon and went to the window.........
Slowly pinching the edge of the linen and carefully pealing it
back in fear to look.......
Seven inches of snow yesterday and into the night,
Our FIRST snow of the season,
Here in Michigan we know we have to be prepared for the worst.
I thought I was ready however I think I have some more prep to do!!!
Meanwhile I already had this post up,
So wish me luck as I dig , shovel, gravel out!


What do you do for the Yule season?
One thing that puts me in the mood for the holidays is a simple Yule 
wreath or swag to hang on a door or wall.


I am gathering juniper, boxwood, white pine, spruce, holly, yew, this and that 
from my gardens, 

Here is my basket of greens, the pine cones are not from here,
(just set them in the basket) the wreath form I made from a vine in 
my back garden,



This is the berry from my burning bush in the front garden,

This is some wired artificial pine branch I found at the dollar
store last year,  I will use this to wrap everything onto the vine ring,


I also save the twist ties from the Christmas tree lites, they are green and 
blend really well with all your green decorations
I layered each piece repeating the pattern, and making sure the branches all
go the same direction, spruce, boxwood, juniper, yew, and so on,



Take the wire pine branch and come from the back over the front, 
around to the back again pulling tight as you go, tuck the wire under pieces of the 
branch as you go so it won't show, 

Secure in the back, 

Wrap a pine cone with the twist tie and secure to the wreath, 
Finally, I used a piece of burlap as a ribbon, and 
stuck the dried Hydrangea in for some color, 
Could use some more red? another Hydrangea flower?
Aww, maybe I will fuss with that again tomorrow, 
For now I like this, have to pull other things together now,
Have a great weekend,
Celeste







Post a Comment